Sunday, March 13, 2016

Roads in the Philippines

I’d been travelling the Philippines far too long.  I have a list of roads that I have covered and some I wanted to try and test my driving skills and capability.

Growing up, we always go to Lucban, my mother’s hometown.  There are actually three main roads that will lead you to the town along the foot of Mount Banahaw.  The roads are Tayabas-Lucban,Majayjay-Lucban, Luisiana - Lucban Road.  The first one is an easy zigzag road. The Majayjay road has a portion of zigzag roads that are also quite dangerous. But you should try the Lucban-Luisiana road that extends to Pagsanjan and Cavinti Road, because of the really sharp curves.  I also tried the Manila East Road, from Kaliraya to Taytay Rizal.


During my Quezon – Bicol Escapades, I have tried driving along the Old Zigzag Road going to Atimonan.   With the view of the Quezon National Forest Park, going up to the road was quite nerve wrecking.  One should be alert with the breaks and the other cars on the opposite side.  Locals from Atimonan assists motorist along the sharp turns. 

Quezon National Forest Park in Atimonan

The scariest road I have driven is the Pantabangan – Baler road.  
Overlooking Pantabangan Dam
This one only has one zigzag that is very hard especially when you’re driving an automatic car.  But the challenge with the roads is the too many steep roads.  The bridge were usually in low lying areas and the roads after the bridge are ascending in a 45 degrees angle. When you get to the part of the Canile Trail, where there are large humps, car would bump into the humps.  Most tourist go there using 4 x 4and it is not advisable for a car full of loads, maybe if you’re travelling alone like I did, it is much easier, but yeah it scares the shit in me.
Canile Trail
The most travelled zigzag roads are Kennon Road, Marcos Highway and Naguillian Road and the Bauang – Baguio Raod going to Baguio. 
The longest road I’d driven is the Manila – Pagudpod Road.  We should thank the SCTEX, TPLEX and diversion roads, travel time have shortened.  Upon reaching the McArthur Highway it’s a straight road ahead, covering Pangasinan, La Uniona and Ilocos Sur.  Then you’d reach the Pan-Philippine Highway from Laoag towards the Patapat Viaduct.
My favourite stop over usually to take pictures are the Narvacan – Santa roads going to the bridge in Bantay Bridge also known as Quirino Bridge. 
Narvacan - Santa Roads
Quezon Bridge
I also tried driving the Sayre Highway Malaybalay Bukidnon going to Cagayan de Oro.  The battle neck is in the Manolo Fortich Town of Bukidnon and the Barangay Upper Puerto, Cagayan de Oro.
Sayre Highway
Still on my list

  1. Dalton Pass and Cagayan Valley Road, Nueva Ecija to Tuguegarao
  2. Halsema Road, Baguio to Mountain Province
  3. Benguet  - Nueva Vizcaya Road
  4. Patapat Viaduct – Pagudpod to Cagayan – I had been here before but I wasn’t the one driving
  5. Partido Highway – Quezon to Camarines Sur – I was in a bus traversing this road.
  6. Digos - Makar Highway, Digos to General Santos
  7. San Juanico Bridge - Connecting Leyte and Samar

No comments:

Post a Comment